Wednesday 30 December 2015

Grateful for the Mess

I looked around myself on Dec 27th and I was surrounded by mess. Total chaos. Toys everywhere, sweetie wrappers lying abandoned in the corners of the room, several kids cups half filled with water on each available surface. My windows and patio door were covered in what only can be described as jammy handprint approximately age 2 sized. In my kitchen there were muddy paw prints all over the floor and a steadily growing freshly washed pile of clothes on the kitchen surface ready to be ironed or folded and put away. There were plates left in the sink from the hubby's dinner the night before that he neglected to put in the dishwasher. You wouldn't believe that on Christmas Eve, a mere 3 days ago, the house was spotlessly clean, tidy and clutter free.

Surprisingly though, as I looked around my house I didn't feel annoyed or resentful as I often do about the state of the place so quickly after I've worked hard to clean it. I realised that I am very lucky and I am very grateful for this mess, this chaos. I am so grateful that I have a house to make a mess in, a husband and children to make the mess, running water to fill our cups with, food to eat, money to buy toys for the kids to play with and clutter up my living room with. I am thankful that we have clothes to wear, that my dog is still with us and healthy enough to go outside and run around in the mud and that we are all healthy and together this Christmas. I know a lot of people who are struggling this Christmas due to losses in one way or another. I also know that these sticky handprints and muddy paws don't last forever so I must treasure them while I have them. I am grateful that I have what I have, even if it is a little messy.

I hope you all had a lovely, messy and chaotic Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . . .