Thursday 5 May 2011

Paying it Forward (RAOK)

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
Princess Diana


It's that time of the week again where I spill the beans on any Random Acts of Kindness I have bestowed on others throughout the past week. It was easy this week! Here is what happened last week .  .  .

I was not really interested in watching the Royal Wedding (ironic choice of above quote) so I planned to go the the Scottish Baby and Toddler Show in the SECC. I ordered tickets online ages ago but I hadn't opened the envelope. When we got to the show my hubby, who has the bladder of a two year old boy, had to visit the little boys room so I stood outside with JC. I was taking the tickets out of the envelope when I realised that I had bought 3 tickets by mistake. Initially I thought 'bummer, I could've sold it if I noticed sooner' but then I realised an opportunity to take part in a RAOK. 

I looked around and spotted a heavily pregnant woman walking past with her family. She had a kind face so I asked her if she had already bought tickets. She looked at me suspiciously as if I was some sort of illegal ticket tout and hesitantly replied 'no'. I handed her my spare ticket and explained that I had bought an extra ticket by mistake but that she could have it. She was a bit taken aback but then I guess that people are not used to getting something for nothing these days!

I spoke about karma and paying it forward (fab film!) in my first RAOK post about homelessness and  I firmly stand by the fact that being kind pays off. I don't think you should be kind and give to others with an expectation that you will receive something back but I do believe that everything happens for a reason and that kind deeds will be rewarded. I was brought up with the philosophy of treating others the way I would want to be treated. I even try to be kind to grumpy, not so nice people, not because they are kind but because I am. 

I hope you, my wonderful readers, have all experienced kindness in some form this week either as the giver or the receiver. If you would like to write it about then feel free to link up . . . 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE your post AND your RAOK. Mine went horribly wrong this week - read it and weep :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea. I will try and blog something and link back x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your post AND your RAOK. Mine went horribly wrong this week - read it and weep :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments . . .