Saturday 7 May 2011

Cheerful and Grateful

I haven't take part in this meme for a good few weeks *slaps hand* but I think it's about time I took stock. I am currently sitting here with a really bad throat and ear infection which really has brought me to my knees. I hate feeling ill. I try to ignore the early signs and power through until it just gets too much and I have to go to bed Well I went to bed and couldn't sleep so I thought I might as well be blogging! Anyway bed rest is not so easy to do with a 9 month old boy and I have just started back singing with the band. However, I refuse to feel sorry for myself and I am going to dig deep for my reasons of cheerful and gratefulness.

I'm grateful for and cheerful about . . .

1.Letting Go

We have stopped breastfeeding :( This was a huge decision for me as I wasn't ready to give it up yet. For the past few months JC has been showing signs of disinterest in the boob as he hates lying back to be fed. He is dead nosey and likes to see what's going on when he is drinking his milk. I felt that keeping him on the breast was more for my benefit and inability to let go. I was sad for a good week after his last feed but I now realise that he is so much happier being able to drink his milk from a bottle or a cup. It was such a natural progression for him and I should be grateful for that. It was a beautiful bonding time for us which I will treasure forever.


2. Relaxation

Although April has been a busy month there was time last week for some relaxation with my friend Jemma who treated me to a lovely spa day. Like most mums, I am more than happy to give up my 'me' time for my gorgeous little bundle but when an opportunity to be treated comes along it makes me extremely cheerful!







3. A listening Ear

I had my first counselling session for PND this week and it went really well. I went in with the opinion that I was 'better' and that I wouldn't need this. I basically gave the poor woman a run down of my life and more importantly the past 9 months in about 15 minutes. When I got to the end I had a wee bubble. I think it was a relief just to get it all out and look at it as something that is now past. I think I have established that on a day to day basis I'm fine and I wear my mummy mask with pride. However when JC has an off day and the Grumpinator returns, I have flashbacks to that dark time for me when he has 1 - 4 months old and I am terrified of going through that again. I certainly felt lighter after talking to the lady who is to work with me for the next 6 weeks so here's hoping that the progress continues.

For more cheerfulness check out Michelle's blog and see below



For more gratefulness check out Maxabella's blog

9 comments:

  1. We're still breastfeeding but we always top up with bottles as I have never had enough milk. Even though I have gone back to work and am not expressing, we're still doing it, but I know he only gets literally 1 or 2 oz. As it helps get him to sleep I don't know how or when to stop :-(
    Will, like you, be sad.
    Liska x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved breastfeeding and like you, I was very sad when my children lost interest and it was time to stop. I'll always remember that amazing feeling and be grateful that I was able feed my children when so many people struggle.

    I hope you start feeling better soon and thank you for the links to the lovely blog hops!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much easier when the child is disinterested than forcing weaning on him/her (which I have not been able to do and I hope I won't have to).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just looked at my eldest one day and thought you are getting too big for this so started to wean her off it. She must have been ready because we had no trouble. I am still feeding my youngest but down to twice a day. I must admit, I have enjoyed it but as selfish as it I am looking forward to getting my boobs back, I permantly have one bigger than the other and for the summer would like this look to go hee hee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're better and it's great to see you!! Finishing breastfeeding was such a mixed emotional roller coaster for me. It's a very meaningful time.

    You're a good soul to be doing the counselling. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reasons and a great blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you made a natural decision with the breastfeeding, my JJ made the decison for when when I gave up too.

    and as for a spa day, wow.

    Hope the counselling cotinues to be really helpful.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reasons and a great blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved breastfeeding and like you, I was very sad when my children lost interest and it was time to stop. I'll always remember that amazing feeling and be grateful that I was able feed my children when so many people struggle.

    I hope you start feeling better soon and thank you for the links to the lovely blog hops!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments . . .