Friday 1 January 2016

My Top 5 Achievements of 2015

Firstly,  Happy New Year! Secondly, today marks my 5th blog birthday so Happy Blogoversary to me. For the last 2 years I've marked the new year with my top 5 achievements. This year has passed in a bit of a blur. I've found it difficult to think of it in terms of achievements but I dug deep and this is what I came up with...

1. 365 Happy Days - my picture a day that captures some sort of happiness and joy is still going strong. I started it almost 2 years ago and although it can be tough to keep it going it's really worthwhile. What I've noticed as I have reviewed my photos this year is how much more varied they are. Last year, pretty much every photo was of the boys. Don't get me wrong most of them still are but there are a lot of other things making me happy and fulfilling my life too which I think is a sign on a balanced life. If you fancy checking out my year in pictures you can see it below or you can check me out on Instagram



2. Surviving Christmas - speaking in terms of mental health, every year around Christmas I actually lose the plot. It is a tough time of year for everyone and although I enjoy it, it seems to send me to a place where I am anxious all the time and feel pretty down.  Not this year though!! For the first year in a long time I got through it smiling. No meltdowns, no tears and no wishing it would just be over. I dialled my festivities back this year, focused on the kids and stopped rushing. It has worked.











3. Ukulele Orchestra - I was never good at attending clubs when I was a kid. I would be enthusiastic until I got the uniform/equipment then I'd get fed up. I joined the Fife Ukulele Orchestra in January last year and I'm really proud of myself for sticking with it. I've met some lovely people and it's great being part of a community group. My uke playing has definitely improved but I am hoping to focus on this much more in 2016.


4. School Boys - I managed to secure Jamie a place at nursery. He's not supposed to start until next December but he got early entry due to his sight issues. I'm pleased to say he is thriving. John started school in August and I am amazed at how much he has grown up in few short months. He is reading, counting and giving me school boy attitude. Also an achievement for me is only being late to pick him up once!! Anyone who knows me will appreciate this has been a challenge for me.










5. Unsuccessful Dieting - it's been another year of trying to eat well and not really managing it. I tried various things none of which worked or was sustainable but I'm encouraged that I've kept trying. I recently joined a slimming world group run by a high school friend of mine. I lost, I gained then lost again but I kept going. I was honest about my shortcomings and cut myself some slack.  I'm not one for resolutions but last year I focussed on my mental health which I'm pleased to say is in a very good place so this year I will be focusing on my physical health. I don't just mean food and exercise, I'm going to be exploring health supplements for my various ailments, trying to get more rest, making more of an effort with myself and of course an adequate intake of Gin! 





So that's it. It's been a pretty chilled year. Next year my focus is physical health, financial stability and free family days out. My blog posts will reflect this. Over the last year I have chosen not to write much as I was lacking inspiration. This year I am going to write about how we spend our family time, not the sugar coated version with smiling photos but with a focus on real parenting and the truth behind the smiling snaps. We are in the process of selling our old house so we are concentrating on tightening our belts to pay for 2 houses while it is on the market. We are going to try and do more free days out and I will be blogging about the places we go and what we get up to in 2016. Watch this space. 


Thank you to my readers, family and friends for giving me an audience for the last 5 years.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . . .