Thursday 26 January 2012

Great Chieftain o' the puddin-race! 26/366

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.
(1st Verse of Address to a Haggis by Robert Burns)



I love poetry and I love Scots language. It's a dying language and we are struggling in our schools to keep it alive for our pupils especially at this time of year. Now I know that Burn's Day was yesterday but I celebrated with Haggis, Neeps and Tatties tonight because my Mum was coming over for her tea (dinner). Some of my favourite Scottish words are . . .

Wheesht - be quiet
Blether - talking to much or talking rubbish
Glaikit - stupid or stupid looking
Gallus - impressive
Mauchit - really dirty 
fankle - entangled (I get my self in a fankle quiet often)
Eejit - idiot


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . . .