Friday 13 May 2011

The Price of a Life

This is a post for my meme Random Acts of Kindness. To read more about this see here. Sorry for the delay in getting this post up but due to a) falling asleep on the couch last night, laptop in hand and b) Blogger being down during my 'free' time today it has had to wait.

I was inspired to write this post when I read Michelle's blog over at Mummy From The Heart this week. I read this post on Sunday and thought what a lovely thing to do. Michelle and her family sponsor two children through a Christian charity called Compassion. This is something I always think about doing, especially when I see adverts on the TV but like a lot of things, I never seem to get around to it.

I sponsor a dog through Dogs Trust. It was a gift to my primary 6 class from a few years ago (the gift that keeps on giving!) His name is Smudge, he lives in Glasgow and he loves treats. He can't be visited anymore because he has a knee injury.

My hubby's primary 5 class have recently sponsored two dogs through the same charity and they raised their sponsorship money through an enterprise project.

My school has a citizenship programme and as part of our Global Citizenship we sponsor a child called Adreen who attends a school in Uganda. The money the schools sends throughout the year pays for equipment, meals and clothes to attend school in.

I think that sponsoring a child/animal who needs our help to improve their life can be a valuable lesson to our children. When it comes to sponsoring less fortunate children, it teaches our kids about different cultures and values. As for sponsoring animals, it provides an excellent opportunity to discuss animal welfare and care. Many children who get dogs as pets for Christmas and birthdays end up not being able to look after them and they end up in a shelter.

So in a effort to promote kindness towards other beings (with 4 legs or 2) I write this post to ask you to think about the price you would put on a life. It really is that simple. Your money will go towards helping help your sponsor not just live but be comfortable and provided for. It costs £21 a month to sponsor a child through Compassion, £22.80 through World Vision or if you can't afford that, you could donate what you can afford to a charity like Save the Children.

If you want to sponsor a 4 legged friend then you can sponsor a dog through Dogs Trust for £1 a week. One of my favourite charities that I volunteer for is Boxer Welfare Scotland. If you love boxers as much I as do you can sponsor a kennel for £5 a month or £60 a year to help keep our bouncing babes safe and warm until we can find them a forever home.

So if you have any kindness stories to post then feel free to link up here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . . .