Thursday 27 January 2011

Rabbie Burns




I went to a Burns Supper tonight that was organised by the P7's at my school. I absolutely love Rabbie Burns and always thoroughly enjoy a burns supper. My favourite poem is Tam O'Shanter. The poem is really, really long but it is always recited at a burns supper. It's about a man who stayed too long in the pub and saw something disturbing on his way home. Here is an extract:

Warlocks and witches in a dance:
Nae cotillon, brent new frae France,
But hornpipes, jigs, strathspeys, and reels,
Put life and mettle in their heels.
A winnock-bunker in the east,
There sat auld Nick, in shape o' beast;
A towzie tyke, black, grim, and large,
To gie them music was his charge:
He screw'd the pipes and gart them skirl,
Till roof and rafters a' did dirl. -
Coffins stood round, like open presses,
That shaw'd the Dead in their last dresses;
And (by some devilish cantraip sleight)
Each in its cauld hand held a light.
By which heroic Tam was able
To note upon the haly table,
A murderer's banes, in gibbet-airns;
Twa span-lang, wee, unchristened bairns;
A thief, new-cutted frae a rape,
Wi' his last gasp his gabudid gape;
Five tomahawks, wi' blude red-rusted:
Five scimitars, wi' murder crusted;
A garter which a babe had strangled:
A knife, a father's throat had mangled.
Whom his ain son of life bereft,
The grey-hairs yet stack to the heft;
Wi' mair of horrible and awfu',
Which even to name wad be unlawfu'.
Three lawyers tongues, turned inside oot,
Wi' lies, seamed like a beggars clout,
Three priests hearts, rotten, black as muck,
Lay stinkin, vile in every neuk.


I just love the way he mixes both languages, the English eloquence and the Scots descriptive expressions. I have a great love of all things Scottish and I believe that our language should be celebrated and sustained. I remember being told off at school for speaking in our local dialect. I couldn't understand why yes couldn't be 'aye' at school. I love that fact that in our school we celebrate our language both slang and Scots and that our children are brought up to be proud of their heritage.

Cheery,
Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . . .