Parsnip, Leek and Apple Soup
1 large leek
1 tbsp olive oil
500-700g vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
Sprinkling of thyme (fresh preferably, dried will do)
60ml milk/almond milk
- Prepare the vegetables – Parsnips peeled and chunked, Onion peeled and diced, Leek washed, trimmed and sliced, Apple peeled, cored and diced.
- Sauté the onion and leek in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft, stirring regularly to avoid browning.
- Add the parsnips, apple, vegetable stock, thyme, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil then turn down the heat to simmer. Leave for 15 mins or until the parsnips are soft.
- Remove from the heat. Add the milk and purée.
- If you want to be a fancy pants you could add some of the lighter sliced leeks as a garnish!
- Serve with some crispy wholemeal bread. Delicious!
(Adults could add salt and pepper to theirs according to tastes)